Sam Gillies Resume
2015 to Present
Best of Bristol
Editor and Founder
Set up in January 2015 across Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, with a website launched in May 2015 as an alternative guide to Bristol.
I’m the founder, editor and creator for Best of Bristol. Focusing on interesting Bristol lists, photos and videos.
• 1.2 million website visitors
• 6 million video views
• 500,000 likes, comments and shares
• 70,000 social media followers
Sep 2017 – Sep 2019
Head of Digital
• Shaping, leading and delivering the SunLife digital strategy
• Leading and developing the Digital Marketing and Web Conversion team
• Own all digital channel strategies across social media, paid media, organic and new emerging channels
• Managing the Digital P&L
• Responsible for website real estate, including digital experience, design, structure and customer journey
Jan 2017 – August 2017
Digital Marketing Manager
• Leading and designing SunLife’s digital marketing strategy
• Creating and executing integrated, cross-platform digital marketing campaigns across all digital media including PPC, SEO, display, paid social, organic social and GSPs
• Managing SunLife’s social media communities across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube
• Establishing digital partnerships with influencers and affiliates
• Managing the digital marketing budget
• Developing and implementing link building campaigns
• Managing and developing the digital marketing team
Jan 2016 – Dec 2016
Social Media & SEO Manager
• Leading and designing SunLife’s social media & SEO strategy.
• Overseeing, and executing, all aspects of paid social marketing implementation, including campaign creation, tracking, optimisation & reporting.
• Executing integrated, cross-platform digital marketing campaigns across all media.
• Managing SunLife’s social media communities across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
• Establishing social media partnerships with influencers and affiliates.
• Managing the SEO & social media marketing budget.
• Developing and implementing link building campaigns.
• Managing and developing the social media & SEO team
March 2014 – Dec 2015
Social Media & Content Manager
• Developed & executed engaging social media & content strategy to support the launch of a new brand and products
• Oversaw all aspects of social content, including writing and editing, video, audience engagement, social media campaigns and event promotion.
• Managed social media communities on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vine, LinkedIn and Google Plus.
• Conducting social media listening using Radian 6 and Social Studio.
• Managed 4 agencies for social media, SEO, video, copywriting and media buying.
• Increased positive sentiment about SunLife on social media from 2.5% to 17% in 2015.
• Increased social engagement (likes, comments & shares) by 750% from 2014 to 2015.
• Increased website traffic from social media by 3270% from 2014 to 2015.
• Doubled social media community size between 2014 and 2015.
• Developed and managed outreach relationships with a variety of different bloggers & social media communities.
• Managed social media sign off process in FCA regulated sphere.
The Institute of Direct and Digital Marketing
IDM Professional Diploma in Digital Marketing
Learned key skills to plan, manage and assess digital marketing campaigns, including: UX, content, finance, social media email, PPC, SEO, display, content and affiliate marketing. Equivalent to Level 6 (Bachelor’s Degree) qualification.
Social Media Strategy, Disruption and Change, Mobile, Proposition Development, Search, Display, Content, Brand Development, Customer Journey, Integrated Marketing Strategy, Data & Insight, Google Analytics.
University of Bath
Masters of Arts (MA): International Security
Courses include: Foreign Policy Analysis, International Security: The Contemporary Agenda, European Foreign Policy, European Security, International Terrorism, Organised Crime in Europe, Britain and Europe, International Organisations in World Politics.
University of Bath
Bachelor of Science (BSc): Politics with International Relations
Courses include: Transitions to Democracy, Foreign Policy Analysis, International History 1815-1991, American Politics, US Global Politics, Latin American Politics, European Political Thought, Policies & Policy Making in the EU, International Relations Theory, Conflict & Security, International Political Economy * Dissertation: “The Rise and Fall of Competitive Authoritarianism under Leonid Kuchma”